November 6, 1984–Referendum on ballot. Results: 159,801 yes votes; 137,096 no votes.
June 27, 1985–Enabling act passed.
November 5, 1985–Delegate election. Election of 100 delegates from 558 candidates; 96,536 votes cast.
January 6, 1986–Convention convenes
June 26, 1986–Convention adjourns after proposing 14 constitutional amendments, most notably a rewrite of the constitution.
November 4, 1986–Convention proposed amendments placed on the ballot. Eight approved; six rejected. The rewrite of the constitution is one of the approved amendments.
$891,000 (1986 dollars)
- Rewrite of the present constitution*
- Ethics in government
- Budget powers and executive succession
- Rights of people
- Shore use and environmental protection
- Felon office holding and voting
- Judicial selection and disclosure
- Legislative pay and mileage
- Four year term and recall
- Voter initiative
- Home rule
- Paramount right-to-life
* The most important amendment.